Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

June 20, 2005

JAPAN: 95-year-old dashes to become world best

TOKYO (Reuters), June 20, 2005

A 95-year-old Japanese man shattered the 100 meters world record in the 95-99 age group at a seniors athletics meeting Sunday, organizers said. Kozo Haraguchi splashed through the rain to clock 22.04 seconds in Miyazaki, southern Japan, slicing almost two seconds off the previous world record of

24.01.

After being informed of his achievement, Haraguchi beamed: "Oh dear, really? Thank you very much."

Five years ago, Haraguchi set a world record for the 90-94 age bracket with a time of 18.08.

After rewriting the record books again, Haraguchi modestly said he had just tried to concentrate on not falling over.

"Everyone was cheering me on so I kept thinking I mustn't fall over," he told reporters. "From now on, I will keep going as hard as my strength lets me."

Haraguchi took up athletics at 65 to keep fit and said the secret of his success was a one-hour walk every morning around his neighborhood.

Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited.

No comments: